Friday, July 6, 2007

Just Heat and Eat


The last few days have been hot by our standards, and the kids' appetites waned. I found myself frustrated with the lack of enthusiasm I had to cook great food, and their lack of enthusiasm. I tried to chalk it up to the heat as well as the amazing bounty of food that is just coming into season.


Gus and Freja stand side by side at the raspberry hedge gorging themselves, and then go over to the strawberry patch for dessert! Trying to get protein and carbs in them seems nearly impossible. I am humbled when I think of parents who tell me that they ALWAYS struggle around mealtime. It got me thinking back to when Gus had his food issues...


When Gus was six months old he happily began to eat table food. I was so relieved after already suffering twice through mastitis, I was really looking for a little less pressure to be the sole source of food. After about a month of eating all kinds of yummy things, Gus digestive system started to shut down. He had the worst time pooping, and was generally not the chipper guy we were used to. Our doc has us put him exclusively back on breastmilk until things were running smoothly and then begin table food introduction all over again. We ended up introducing two new foods a week, and kept track of everything in what we lovingly nicknamed "The Poop Journal". Friends and family must have thought we totally lost it, but really what new parent is considered to be sane? All in all I learned so much about how different foods can affect a person's constitution, and now have a pretty amazing eater in Gus. (If it were for the berries in the backyard!)


I know that there are some great reads out there for parents looking for creative solutions to feeding their babies, and here are some sources I often look to:


Peggy O'mara, Natural Family Living


Peggy is the editor in chief of Mothering Magazine and has a few books out that are just wonderful resources, as well as the website with recipes.


Joachim and Christine Splichal, Feeding Baby; Simple, Healthy Recipes for Babies and Their Families, (Ten Speed Press)

This book was the first one I found that encouraged me to only feed my baby things that were so good I would finish whatever was left on their plate. There are also amazing holiday menus that include foods for all ages.


Eat well and Sleep well....

No comments: