Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Babies, babies everywhere...


Yesterday, sans granny nanny, I attended a "newer" mom's group. I was totally blown away by the energy in the room. It seems like ages ago when I too worried about the amount of Tylenol you can give your kid before you feel like a pusher. Or worrying about still swaddling a seven month old babe to sleep.

I went to the meeting because now with G & F past the "baby food" stage I feel I am losing my audience, but still have lots to share. I hope that by reaching out I can reduce the worry and wonder of some of the newer moms I meet. Gus happily handed out our famous teething cookies, and I think they went over quite well. Here is the recipe:

1 Large egg (preferably organic)
2/3 C Brown Rice Syrup
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
Organic instant baby rice cereal

Whisk egg, syrup, and oil together to create an emulsion. Then, stirring with a spoon, add the dry rice cereal about a 1/2 cup at a time until you have a dough that is "pipeable". (I know that is a lame ass description, but you will know it when you see it) Scrape dough into a pastry bag fitted with a large opening tip, or scrape dough into a ziploc and snip off a corner of the bag.

Pipe cookies out in whatever shape you like, I usually just go back and forth a couple inches long. Bake at 350 degrees F until the bottoms are browned and tops are firming up. Once removed from the oven and cooled the cookies will crisp up, and should last you at least a week in an airtight container.

Happy teething!

No comments: