Monday, August 13, 2007

"I Don't DO Greenbeans..."

A few weeks ago Gus announced to me, after I set down his dinner plate brimming with good food: "I don't do greenbeans Mommy." After I picked my mouth up off the floor, I tried to remind him that he loves green beans, that I made them his favorite way, that they were delicious, and that was what we had for dinner. Then battle royale began. Holy crap a three-year-old can put up a stink about the tiniest things! Since then dinner is sometimes a struggle with me luring Gus through it with promises of grand desserts, while his sister happily chows down on whatever is placed in front of her. I never saw this coming.

On a logical level, I understand this is more a struggle over power and control than one over the actual items on the plate. I can also see how these two very separate things, one emotional and one physical can become forever linked. This past weekend we spent with some Gus and Freja's cousins. Mealtimes were chaotic, and even though the coordinators of the weekend (the two Grandmas) tried their very hardest to present healthful, interesting foods, there was always someone not quite happy with the selection. One of the cousins in particular was so dissatissfied that alternative meals were needed to satisfy her. It was a bit eerie for me to see how an older child, who started out just like mine, saw food as something to wrestle over rather than savour and appreciate as a connector to the outer world.

It is a powerful thing to hunt for a zuchinni or potato in your garden with your child, bring it into the kitchen, turn it into dinner and then revel with them as the eat it and complete the cycle of seed to table. I feel very strongly about showing my children where their food comes from, how it can be prepared and demonstrating the benefits of making healthy choices. Although I sometimes wish it was easier, and took perhaps a little less time, it is those unexpected "Yums", and "More please", that keep me going. Just today Gus and Freja and I chowed down on corn, zuchinni, greenbean, and chicken stir-fry for lunch. Guess who was begging for the last green bean?

Eat well, be well.

No comments: